Monday, June 16, 2008

In Athens Again



We are back in Athens after an overnight ferry trip. I definitely like the islands better than the city but it is still good to be here because this means I'm one step closer to home. At this point I've been away just over 3 weeks and I miss home. I miss Ashley and the boys, my own bed, my quiet study, a real shower, and an occasional hamburger. This week we are staying at the Bible Institute in Athens. The rooms are alright but lacking in hotel conveniences. So by the end of this week I'll also be missing air conditioning. However, I do have decent internet access while we are here so that is a big plus.

While we are in Athens we will likely go to the Acropolis and surrounding area of the Agora and some other ancient temples. We would also like to make a trip to Corinth. Even though I have been there, I would like to see it again since we are so close.

On my final day on Lesbos, I took a walk down the beach to take pictures. The water there is incredibly clear. I could still see the bottom after walking several yards out on a pier. I could even see some small fish swimming around and there were many people snorkeling around the area. Maybe some day I'll give that a try and take along an underwater camera.

On the way back to Athens, the four of us had our regular Sunday communion together and afterward, I found the passage in the Bible that mentions Lesbos. Actually, it mentions the major port of Lesbos, which is Μιτυλήνη (Mitylene) (Acts 20:14). It is mentioned in the same passage where Χίος (Chios) (Acts 20:15) (another island that was a stop for our ferry) and Σάμος (Samos) (Acts 20:15) (where I went 2 years ago). In this passage, Paul is trying to make it back to Jerusalem in time for Pentecost. I wonder if Paul used the same ferry line that we took... probably not.



This is a picture I took on my walk along the coast of Lesbos. If you look hard you can see the coast of Turkey in the distance (to the right of the little island).

No comments: