Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas Focus



When did Christmas become about how we are greeted by others? Happy Holidays is just fine with me, I know the sentiment and I don't care much for the word "merry" anyway. I don't worry too much about offending others with "Have a nice Christmas" but choose to not be offended by how others greet me. My energy is better spent on being positive toward them in hopes that they will see Christ in me.

Neither Wal-Mart nor my bank have a steeple. So I don't let businesses determine whether or not Christ is a part of Christmas. I don't need to see decorated trees in stores to know Jesus came into the world. Trees are pretty but scripture is more telling.

Christmas is a celebration, not a soapbox. I choose to not fight battles over once a year greetings. The real war continues every day. It will not be won by getting others to talk or act the way we want them to, but when the Spirit has them believe.

Greetings and decorations are not what is important right now, but... Have a wonderful Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, Feliz Navidad, Mele Kalikimaka, καλά Χριστούγεννα, or preferably Luke 2:10-11.

No comments: